Noah's Photo Gallery

Our customers projects

Last additions
applepsandprimer.jpg
147 viewsApplied a first coat of primer to the outside hull of my Apple Pie Tender. It is so warm that the paint dried very quickly. It still will have to sit overnight before it can be sanded without gumming up the sandpaper. This is Epiphane primer. I used it on the Skerry build and I really liked it. I did not coat the gunwales yet. I'm not sure if I will paint them or leave them wood coloured.
Jul 20, 2013
applepsandingagain.jpg
150 viewsThe whole interior gets a sanding to get rid of any drips or large bumps. When I applied the fiberglass on the inside I not only had to work very fast, but I had to make some cuts in the glass to fit it because of the various angles and curves. Mostly I ended up with overlaps.One spot had a small gap. I should not have worried much but I fret about things like that, so I put a patch overlapping the gap. I used fast hardener and was able to put 2 layers of resin over the patch quickly because it was very hotJul 20, 2013
applepsanding.jpg
155 viewsStarted sanding the outside. Its quite bumpy in places and there are some fiberglass cloth overlap that show. This is going to take a bit of time. Its my least favourite part of the job. I went and rummaged in my paints and found some fiberglass primer and white paint. The inside is going to be white I think.Jul 20, 2013
applepsand2.jpg
147 viewsStill Sanding
Jul 20, 2013
applepresinonglass.jpg
167 viewsThe fiberglass cloth went down very well. It was much easier to do than the interior. I cut the cloth at the junction of the side and the transom and overlapped the cloth over the corner.

I also added another strip of fiberglass over the edge and corner to help protect them. This means I will have to sand and finish a bit more but its extra insurance against being dragged on the ground.
Jul 20, 2013
applepprimerinside.jpg
143 viewsUsing a foam roller really worked well for the primer. On the outside hull, I had used a good brush and it left streak marks. Not serious for primer but more work sanding out. This coat is very even and will cover a multitude of sins in the preparation I hope. Particularly after the inevitable sanding session.
Jul 20, 2013
appleppositionoarlock.jpg
151 viewsChecking the position of the oarlocks. I've taped them to the boat and checked that its right. There are 2 sets of oarlocks to allow for different weight distribution.
Jul 20, 2013
appleppaintinside.jpg
148 viewsRolling a coat of primer on the inside. The wood in the sun was burning hot to the hand and I figured I would prefer a cooler finish than a beautiful dark wood hot seat.
Jul 20, 2013
appleppaint.jpg
157 viewsAdded 2 more coats of paint. Second coat dried too fast because it was too warm. Left surface a bit bumpy. Too bad.
Jul 20, 2013
applepmidglued.jpg
156 viewsPut a coat of epoxy on the floor. Using lots of thickened epoxy squeezed out of a plastic bag, the assembly is glued following the lines on the floor. Fillets are made and clamps placed to make sure the assembly does not slide out of true. A last check is made to make sure the position is good.

Fillets are used to strengthen stitch and glue seams.
Jul 20, 2013
applepmainparts.jpg
Meranti cut146 viewsMain pieces of the boat have been cut. I drilled one eight inch holes along the edges for stitching. After cutting the first side, I just placed it on the plywood and traced it. I then cut right on the line and got a good match.

I've made a little scratch on my saw guide and it allows me to position the cut very accurately. The bow and transom pieces are half inch Meranti plywood with lovely colour.
Jul 20, 2013
appleplayout.jpg
Meranti147 viewsLayout of measurements on plywood. I'm using Meranti, quarter inch for sides and bottom and half inch for bow and transom. Here the bottom is being laid out. I'm using a long strip of plywood to join the points smoothly.

Meranti is heavier than okume so I expect my boat will be heavier than it could be.
Jul 20, 2013
321 files on 27 page(s) 14