Noah's Photo Gallery

Our customers projects

Image search results - "glue"
applepieseats.jpg
186 viewsUsing the seat patterns I made, I cut front and back seats out of half inch plywood.
appleplayout.jpg
Meranti131 viewsLayout of measurements on plywood. I'm using Meranti, quarter inch for sides and bottom and half inch for bow and transom. Here the bottom is being laid out. I'm using a long strip of plywood to join the points smoothly.

Meranti is heavier than okume so I expect my boat will be heavier than it could be.
applepmainparts.jpg
Meranti cut127 viewsMain pieces of the boat have been cut. I drilled one eight inch holes along the edges for stitching. After cutting the first side, I just placed it on the plywood and traced it. I then cut right on the line and got a good match.

I've made a little scratch on my saw guide and it allows me to position the cut very accurately. The bow and transom pieces are half inch Meranti plywood with lovely colour.
applepmidglued.jpg
138 viewsPut a coat of epoxy on the floor. Using lots of thickened epoxy squeezed out of a plastic bag, the assembly is glued following the lines on the floor. Fillets are made and clamps placed to make sure the assembly does not slide out of true. A last check is made to make sure the position is good.

Fillets are used to strengthen stitch and glue seams.
appleppaint.jpg
135 viewsAdded 2 more coats of paint. Second coat dried too fast because it was too warm. Left surface a bit bumpy. Too bad.
appleppaintinside.jpg
124 viewsRolling a coat of primer on the inside. The wood in the sun was burning hot to the hand and I figured I would prefer a cooler finish than a beautiful dark wood hot seat.
appleppositionoarlock.jpg
128 viewsChecking the position of the oarlocks. I've taped them to the boat and checked that its right. There are 2 sets of oarlocks to allow for different weight distribution.
applepprimerinside.jpg
121 viewsUsing a foam roller really worked well for the primer. On the outside hull, I had used a good brush and it left streak marks. Not serious for primer but more work sanding out. This coat is very even and will cover a multitude of sins in the preparation I hope. Particularly after the inevitable sanding session.
applepresinonglass.jpg
141 viewsThe fiberglass cloth went down very well. It was much easier to do than the interior. I cut the cloth at the junction of the side and the transom and overlapped the cloth over the corner.

I also added another strip of fiberglass over the edge and corner to help protect them. This means I will have to sand and finish a bit more but its extra insurance against being dragged on the ground.
applepsand2.jpg
125 viewsStill Sanding
applepsanding.jpg
132 viewsStarted sanding the outside. Its quite bumpy in places and there are some fiberglass cloth overlap that show. This is going to take a bit of time. Its my least favourite part of the job. I went and rummaged in my paints and found some fiberglass primer and white paint. The inside is going to be white I think.
applepsandingagain.jpg
126 viewsThe whole interior gets a sanding to get rid of any drips or large bumps. When I applied the fiberglass on the inside I not only had to work very fast, but I had to make some cuts in the glass to fit it because of the various angles and curves. Mostly I ended up with overlaps.One spot had a small gap. I should not have worried much but I fret about things like that, so I put a patch overlapping the gap. I used fast hardener and was able to put 2 layers of resin over the patch quickly because it was very hot
25 files on 3 page(s) 1