Noah's Photo Gallery

Our customers projects

Most viewed
applepmidglued.jpg
159 viewsPut a coat of epoxy on the floor. Using lots of thickened epoxy squeezed out of a plastic bag, the assembly is glued following the lines on the floor. Fillets are made and clamps placed to make sure the assembly does not slide out of true. A last check is made to make sure the position is good.

Fillets are used to strengthen stitch and glue seams.
appleppaint.jpg
159 viewsAdded 2 more coats of paint. Second coat dried too fast because it was too warm. Left surface a bit bumpy. Too bad.
applepsanding.jpg
156 viewsStarted sanding the outside. Its quite bumpy in places and there are some fiberglass cloth overlap that show. This is going to take a bit of time. Its my least favourite part of the job. I went and rummaged in my paints and found some fiberglass primer and white paint. The inside is going to be white I think.
applepseatassembly.jpg
156 viewsI spent some time getting a pattern for the middle seat following the curve of the bottom.

Here I'm modifying the original plan to make a more substantial middle seat and to house the daggerboard and mast step. The parts have been cut and coated with epoxy.
applepstripdone1.jpg
156 viewsAluminium strips have been installed on the Apple pie dinghy. I had rounded the bottom of the strips and I think it makes the aluminium look a bit odd at the end.
applepweight.jpg
On the Water156 viewsShe rows nicely and tracks well with a bit of weight in her.
applepsandingagain.jpg
152 viewsThe whole interior gets a sanding to get rid of any drips or large bumps. When I applied the fiberglass on the inside I not only had to work very fast, but I had to make some cuts in the glass to fit it because of the various angles and curves. Mostly I ended up with overlaps.One spot had a small gap. I should not have worried much but I fret about things like that, so I put a patch overlapping the gap. I used fast hardener and was able to put 2 layers of resin over the patch quickly because it was very hot
applepmainparts.jpg
Meranti cut150 viewsMain pieces of the boat have been cut. I drilled one eight inch holes along the edges for stitching. After cutting the first side, I just placed it on the plywood and traced it. I then cut right on the line and got a good match.

I've made a little scratch on my saw guide and it allows me to position the cut very accurately. The bow and transom pieces are half inch Meranti plywood with lovely colour.
appleppaintinside.jpg
150 viewsRolling a coat of primer on the inside. The wood in the sun was burning hot to the hand and I figured I would prefer a cooler finish than a beautiful dark wood hot seat.
applepsand2.jpg
149 viewsStill Sanding
applepsandprimer.jpg
149 viewsApplied a first coat of primer to the outside hull of my Apple Pie Tender. It is so warm that the paint dried very quickly. It still will have to sit overnight before it can be sanded without gumming up the sandpaper. This is Epiphane primer. I used it on the Skerry build and I really liked it. I did not coat the gunwales yet. I'm not sure if I will paint them or leave them wood coloured.
appleplayout.jpg
Meranti148 viewsLayout of measurements on plywood. I'm using Meranti, quarter inch for sides and bottom and half inch for bow and transom. Here the bottom is being laid out. I'm using a long strip of plywood to join the points smoothly.

Meranti is heavier than okume so I expect my boat will be heavier than it could be.
321 files on 27 page(s) 26