PDA

View Full Version : hybrid layout boat Q?s

_Green_
07-02-2009, 06:15 PM
Hello there,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or not, if not please move.

I want to build one of these boats
http://www.kansashunter.org/sites/default/files/Duck%20Boat%20Article.pdf

The only problem is I'm not sure which resin to use. I would like to mount a trolling motor on the transom if that makes a difference.

Thanks
Ross

lewisboats
07-03-2009, 08:36 AM
Epoxy is always better than Polyester, vinyl ester or the others...it is the most water resistant.

Steve

_Green_
07-03-2009, 09:04 AM
Epoxy is always better than Polyester, vinyl ester or the others...it is the most water resistant.

Steve

Thanks for the response Steve.

I suppose I should have provided a little more info in the original post before asking the question. From what I've read so far I already knew that epoxy would be the best choice, for a number of reasons. However this will be the first boat I have ever built, is being built for one purpose, that being to hunt ducks and geese in shallow water. It's not likely to be used more than a handful of times each season. So I want to keep the cost as low as possible. So of the two (Polyester & vinyl ester) which would adhere best to plywood? All together I'm hoping I can keep the cost under $300. If I get 3-5 seasons out of it I'll be happy. I'm sure this will be the first of many that I build as I evolve the plans to suit my needs.

Thanks again
Ross

Noah's
07-03-2009, 07:23 PM
Polyester Resin is usually not recommended for wood boat construction as it has a tendency to delaminate over time and when water gets under the glass this leads to rot. However for disposable boats the price is right, so no problem for projects like yours.

_Green_
07-10-2009, 08:13 PM
Polyester Resin is usually not recommended for wood boat construction as it has a tendency to delaminate over time and when water gets under the glass this leads to rot. However for disposable boats the price is right, so no problem for projects like yours.

Could you recommend a product that you carry and let me know the cost, I need

2 gallons of fiberglass resin
150 feet of 6" fiberglass tape
8 yards 4 oz x 52 inch fiberglass cloth

And also what are your hours? Maybe I can get down there and pick all this up over the weekend.

Thanks
Ross

sumansameer
05-11-2010, 06:58 AM
Let me get the data regarding this topic because one of my friend is in this kind of business, I will confirm you information from him...

_Green_
05-11-2010, 07:08 AM
Let me get the data regarding this topic because one of my friend is in this kind of business, I will confirm you information from him...
this is so old, I forgot I even posted it here.

all I need now is the resin and hardener

Lboongon123
07-01-2010, 08:16 AM
I agree with you mate... Epoxy is better than Polyester. :cool:

Steve