Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    DENNIS Guest

I am refinishing a 15ft Giesler Bros. cedar strip boat with EAST system. Is it acceptable to just epoxy the bottom and not the interior? Is there a risk of delamination?

Originally posted by DENNIS:
    I am refinishing a 15ft Giesler Bros. cedar strip boat with EAST system. Is it acceptable to just epoxy the bottom and not the interior? Is there a risk of delamination?
    Interesting question! I'm about to do the same to a Nipissing Boat Co. runabout.

dennis Guest

Originally posted by dpurcell:
    Interesting question! I'm about to do the same to a Nipissing Boat Co. runabout.
    this is the answer i got from EAST Sys distributor
    Denis,
    A couple coats of epoxy on the inside will help protect and increase the
    life of your canoe. But this is not always necessary. If the finish you have
    on the inside is in good shape and you plan on keeping this finish up, then
    a coat of epoxy is something you may not need to do. But if you
    plan on stripping the inside for refinishing. Yes I would coat the inside
    with 2-3 coats. Before
    you put tour finish on.
    The exterior should be fine the way you have explained. But you must put a
    coating.(varinsh - Z-Spar 2015Flagship or a good marine finish- Pettit-
    EASYPOXY) to protect the epoxy from the ultra violet rays.

NOTE:
    1.Make sure you sand the epoxy well before putting your finish on (80-120g)
    2.Some paints will require a primer before your top coat.
    3.Use a high UV varnish. Like mentioned above.

If you have any further information, you can contact me direct at
    paulj@stright-mackay.com or you can call me at (902)-485-4307.

Kind regards and happy refitting;
    Paul J. Janes
    Sales Department

STRIGHT-MACKAY LTD.
    "SATISFYING SEAFARERS SINCE 1948"

Ric@Noah's Guest
    Epoxy coating the inside of a ribbed cedar boat such as a Giesler is a good idea in theory, but in practice it is difficult to get a 100% seal under all the ribs. Noahs is also an East System Distributor, but in this case I would suggest using a thin solvent containing Epoxy called S1 Sealer. It will stay liquid for up to 3 days, and will not harden until the solvent has evaporated, so has lots of time to get into the cracks.
    Our customers have had good success with this type of construction using East System Epoxy and 6 oz fiberglass cloth on the outside of runabouts from the splash rail down, and all of the outside of canoes.
    The bare wood on the inside and above the splashrail on the outside can be varnished with a good spar varnish. Sikkens Rubbol Yacht Varnish works well. Over Epoxy use Sikkens Clearvarnish UV.

[Note: This message has been edited by Jason Steeves]

dennis Guest

Question

Originally posted by Ric@Noah's:
    Epoxy coating the inside of a ribbed cedar boat such as a Giesler is a good idea in theory, but in practice it is difficult to get a 100% seal under all the ribs. Noahs is also an East System Distributor, but in this case I would suggest using a thin solvent containing Epoxy called S1 Sealer. It will stay liquid for up to 3 days, and will not harden until the solvent has evaporated, so has lots of time to get into the cracks.
    Our customers have had good success with this type of construction using East System Epoxy and 6 oz fiberglass cloth on the outside of runabouts from the splash rail down, and all of the outside of canoes.
    The bare wood on the inside and above the splashrail on the outside can be varnished with a good spar varnish. Sikkens Rubbol Yacht Varnish works well. Over Epoxy use Sikkens Clearvarnish UV.

[Note: This message has been edited by Jason Steeves]
    Would S1 sealer work in the interior where there are old coats of varnish that cannot be completely 100%removed?

You should not put S1 or any other Epoxy over anything but clean dry wood, or other Epoxy coatings that are sanded and cleaned