Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Threaded View

Stitch+Glue Kayak Help!?

A while back I built an 8' stitch and glue pram, and I gave a Kayak a shot with terrible results, it was incredibly unstable and was a complete failure =( I wanted to give it another shot, and I figured id see if anyone had any advice. What I'm looking for is a really short light kayak thats easy to store and easy to transport. Ideally the length would fit on one sheet of plywood so I don't have to splice pieces at all. The old one was 1 foot tall, 18" wide at the top, and 16" wide at the bottom, and was 8' long...it was a flat bottom with slightly angled sides. I'm thinking thats why it was so unstable. I'm 130lbs and 6' tall...so I don't think the short length should really be an issue. I was thinking of taking the free Laker 13' plans
    ( http://www.jemwatercraft.com/FreeKayakPlans.php )

And keeping the width the same and shrink it to 8' long, I'm going to sketch that up and see how it looks, but I really have no clue what direction to go with this project.

I'm building a set of 2 identical kayaks, that ideally I could join together into a pontoon boat, or even better a catamaran sailboat...if at all possible.

I LOVE the look of the old boat, very simple and elegant, and i'd love to stick as closely to that design as possible, if possible.

Ideally I would like to keep the old dimensions, but add more rocker, and a more curved shape to the bottom.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Nick

EDIT- I posted some pics of a new design I did in Google Sketch Up. At the top it's 8' X 18" At the bottom it's 7' X 10" which tapers off to a point. And the very center of the boat is 1' tall, and the sides are 10" tall.

Any ideas? Or am I just making a fool of myself?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ineed2fly; 07-25-2010 at 07:25 AM.