Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Mold placement--help!!

I am building the Prospector 16 foot.
    I borrowed the molds from a chap who said to space all of the molds at 12" spacing.
    Herein is my problem after all of the molds stem molds have been placed and plumbed.
    When I place a strip on the canoe to check the fair of the boat….the strips do not touch the pattern mold ( the half pieces connected to stem pattern) nor do they touch the 1st pattern piece connected and placed perpendicular to the stem pattern.
    Also a bit confusing to me is the fact that I did steam and bend pieces for inner stems…. the strips do follow a natural “line” to the end stem pattern but because I used hardwood inner stems, the strip does not flow properly to the end of those.(another ¾”)
    Can I simply move the stem mold and mold connected to it further out without changing the spacing of all the other molds? This would give a better fair line and solve all the initial problems described??

Bottom line is not to have a funny looking canoe. If it is a matter of moving the end stations out an inch or so to get it fair it should not be a problem, just check your waterline first to make sure the all the forms are the right height.

The floors in most basments, garages, driveways, and yards are not level so your frames should be placed on a stand that has been leveled. of course finding a flat board is sometimes as hard as finding a flat floor. one more thing use a four foot level to check it and a string to check for flat a 1/4 inch bow over 8 feet is sometimes hard to see.