Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Backing wood options?

Hi there,

I have a 1986 Bruce Boatworks International-14 dinghy, constructed of fibreglass with some wooden backing pieces. A lot of the internal wood 'backing' pieces are falling apart - see attached picture for a prime example.

What wood can I use to replace these pieces? They are used as backing pieces inside the hull for cleats and blocks with wood screws screwed in from the outside in. I would only need a few pieces of about 4"x8"x(thickness recommended) and assume I could get it shipped within Ontario no problem?

I've seen recommendations for mahogany or G10 plate?

Regards.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The plate in the photo is plywood, Noah’s BS 6566 Meranti will work fine, probably 12mm. You can order a ¼ sheet at: http://www.noahsmarine.com/items.asp...atus=0&Tp=&Bc=

Quote Originally Posted by Noah's View Post
    The plate in the photo is plywood, Noah’s BS 6566 Meranti will work fine, probably 12mm. You can order a ¼ sheet at: http://www.noahsmarine.com/items.asp...atus=0&Tp=&Bc=
    Thanks - I've ordered a 1/4 sheet. When I use this wood should I be covering it in epoxy first, or can I just screw it straight into place? It will be in a moist environment, and occasionally submerged, but never in direct sunlight.

Noah’s Meranti and Okoume Plywoods, both BS 1088 and BS 6566 are made with WBP (water and boil proof glue), if you want to test for WBP, boil for as long as you like, it will not come apart. In the real world we have had samples outside continuously for at least 5 years with no delimitation. However this is still wood so eventually it will deteriorate. Epoxy coating if done properly will extend the life of any wood indefinitely in wet environments. Use at least 3 coats , make sure that coverage is at 100% and round sharp corners with sand paper or a router