Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: Varnish brand

Varnish brand

What is the favored brand of varnish to topcoat West System Epoxy on a strip canoe?

Just about any good quality Spar Varnish with UV filters will work, however I would not recommend the local paint store bargain brand as they usually don’t last too long. Most of our customers use Epifanes Clear Varnish UV, lots of UV and good durability. My favourite is Bristol Finish two part Polyurethane with UV, not a conventional varnish, but looks and works like the real thing. Advantages are you can get on 2 or 3 coats a day without sanding between coats and the finish is harder than regular varnish

Two Part Poly

I like the sound of the durability aspect of the two part Poly. How does that work? Mix part A and part B like epoxy?

Bristol Finish is an 8:1 mix, but unlike West System it has an 8 to 12 hour pot life so you can keep the unused mixed material between coats, it will also keep longer if it is covered. You also need to let it “cook” for about 30 minutes after you mix and before using.
    Use the same prep and application as Epifanes Polyurethane under Other Questions in this forum. I prefer using the roller brush application method with throw away foam, but if you like a brush no problem. Use a good quality natural bristle brush, however you will probably have to throw it away when you are finished, as it will be very difficult to clean thoroughly, residue will cure in the bristles the same as epoxy. Wrap the brush in tinfoil if reusing the same day or clean with acetone and leave in the acetone if you do not plan on recoating for 12 hours or more. The 2 part polyurethanes tend to tack faster than most conventional varnishes so you will have to watch the wet edge. In warm weather use Bristol Finish Tropical Reducer to slow it down, you can also use the reducer as your brush cleaner. Do not use Varsol, or petroleum based thinners to wipe down the canoe or clean brushes, as these products are not compatible with 2 part materials.

# of Coats

Using the Bristol, how many coats would you recommend and how much product would it take to apply that number of coats to a 16' Pospector?

If the canoe is stored out of the weather 2 inside and 3 outside will work. If it spends a lot of time in the sun or you want a showboat finish add as many as you like. A 1 qt. Kit will cover about 120 ft..sq. You should be able to get 2in and 3 out with 2 quarts for the average 16’ Canoe.

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try. The order is on it's way. Any other parting words of wisdom?

Send us a photo and feedback when you finish.