Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: Nomad 17'

Nomad 17'

I am in the process of starting my first cedar strip canoe. I have a question on my nomad 17'. When I start stripping, can I start to run full-length strips from the bow to stern, with full strips under the gunwales? Or go I have to put shorter strips in on the bow & stern? In other words, Does the Nomad 17' have too much flare to have full-length strips directly under the gunwale.

Thanks
    Jerry

I think you should be able to follow the gunwale because the curve is gradual, but can’t give you a definitive answer. If you can wait a few days, I will ask other customers of that kit for an opinion.

Hi Jerry,

Ric sent me a quick email about your post and here's what I have.

I had the same question you do when I started. I pulled up as many pictures of completed boats as I could find and then decided to try it both ways as a test. Initially I thought it would be much easier on me if I followed the lines that the gunwales would take. I laid one strip on each side and tacked them into the molds. From there I kept looking at it and something didn't seem right. Somewhere I read that if you did this, when the boat was completed, it would "look like a banana" and wouldn't have a smooth line. I lost several hours of sleep obsessing over this. I then came to the decision to run the initial strips level and then build the bow and stern up after closing up the hull. I'm pleased so far with the results. I can send pictures if you would like just let me know your email address.

Best of luck,

Jesse

Hi Jerry,

Enclosed is a pic of Jesse's Nomad.

Jason @ Noah's
    Attached Images Attached Images