Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: Decal

Question Decal

What would be the process to put a decal on my cedar strip kayak? I've thought about putting a logo or a name on it.

What material would i use?
    When do i put it on? Before the epoxy? After the expoxy? Before the varnish? After the varnish?

...doug

If it is a standard peel and stick decal just put it on the Varnish, under would protect it from damage, but could cause some blister problems if left in the sun. Painted graphics with acrylic paint works well under conventional and 2 part varnishes. Alcohol or water based stains work well under the epoxy, if you want to color the wood. Do not use oil based stains under epoxy as this will affect adhesion.

I wanted the decal/lettering to be protected where it couldn't be easily removed. But i was also thinking of some more graphic type design that would be painted or stained on or stuck on. I figured any stick on decal might cause blistering if left in the sun which of course is where my kayak will be when i use it.

To recap your response:
    If i was using acrylic paint, i would apply over the epoxy, but under the varnish?
    And if i was using alcohol or water based stains or paints, i would apply it under the epoxy and varnish?
    Is this correct?

Anyone else painted or stained any designs or lettering on their kayaks? How about a printed cloth material? Is that even possible or practical?

...doug

You can encapsulate almost anything that is dry and not oily and because most epoxy’s contain little or no solvents they will not dissolve cured paints and dyes. The qualifier of course is do a test sample before committing to something you don’t want to mess up. Noah’s had an exterior sign up that was epoxy coated marine plywood with acrylic graphics over coated with another 2 epoxy’s and 5 coats of clear 2 part polyurethane. After 15 years the polyurethane was starting to flake, but the epoxy and graphics were fine.
    If you want to use fabric use cotton or other natural fibre rather than synthetic. The usual 3 coats of epoxy with 6 oz glass on the wood, then sand and wet out the natural fabric as you would the glass, 1 or 2 more epoxy coats to fill the weave, then Varnish or Polyurethane. Anyone want to try a calico canoe?

Thanks, I appreciate your responses. I'll do a couple tests on spare wood and see how it looks.

...doug