Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: kayak finishing

I have a cedar strip kayak and am not happy with the varnish finish that I have. I would like to know of a more durable finish that can be applied, preferably at home, so that I can repair the inevitable scratches as they appear over the season, rather than having a shop apply a finish that only they can repair. I want to retain the clear finish that shows off the wood. Any ideas?

canadian stripper Guest

Originally posted by brian:
    I have a cedar strip kayak and am not happy with the varnish finish that I have. I would like to know of a more durable finish that can be applied, preferably at home, so that I can repair the inevitable scratches as they appear over the season, rather than having a shop apply a finish that only they can repair. I want to retain the clear finish that shows off the wood. Any ideas?
    The best way is to simply apply it yourself. First remove any loose bits of varnish with either sand paper(220 grit or less) or fine steel wool. Then apply a very thin coat of marine spar varnish with UV filters (to protect the epoxy from UV breakdown)with a foam brush. It might work with a regular brush too, but I've only used foam. It eliminates brush lines. After the first coat has thoroughly dried (8 hours+) rub it smooth with steel wool again. Apply as many additional coats as you feel are nessasary. Because each coat is light, you may need 4 or 5 coats. Unfortunately, scratches are unavoidable. We simply have to accept that the price for the beauty of a strip boat is that we have to maintain them a little more.