Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: polyester resin

Hybrid View

polyester resin

I'm repairing an old cedar canvas canoe that was glassed with polyester many years ago. I'm leaning towards patching it with glass and polyester resin and I'm wondering...do I use waxed or unwaxed resin? I'd really like to rip off all the old glass then redo the entire hull but the customer doesn't want to spend too much. Hence polyester rather than epoxy. The old glass is quite brittle in spots so I think I'll cover the bottom area with a new layer of glass over top of the old stuff after peelng off the loose stuff. Will that work? Does poly bond well to old poly?

Best is to strip off the old Polyester and re doo with Epoxy but the customer is always right. No problem with Polyester bonding to old poly, just sand with 40 grit, then wipe down with acetone. If you are only doing 1 layer of glass use waxed resin as it will be easier to sand.

OK. Thanks for the reply. Is one coat of resin enough to fill the weave? If I'm applying more than one coat should the final one be waxed and the first ones waxless?
    Last edited by dpurcell; 07-07-2011 at 11:06 AM.