Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

1967 Morgan 34 Restoration

I am in the process of restoring my 1967 Morgan 34 sailboat.

The deck was stripped of all hardware and prepared according to Epifanes guidelines: 2 coats of Epifanes epoxy, the second coat sanded with 220 grit.

The paint was rolled on, and not tipped. The only departure from spec's was the use of Bristol Tropical Reducer in combination with Epifanes's reducer, to obtain a longer open time.

2 coats were applied on the first day, and a 3rd coat, without sanding, on the second day. Only smooth areas of the cabin top, toe rail area and cockpit were painted, with the anti-skid areas masked off.

Of note: on the day before painting all nonskid areas were painted with a solvent resistant, short nap roller (smooth masked off) using Epifanes
    epoxy primer. Rolling in the same direction, and until tacky, yielded a consistent textured pattern that I was looking for. This will be painted with one coat of Epifanes 2 part polyurethane and a second one with the antiskid grit.

Frankly, I don't think I will call this part of the job a "restoration"; what we have here is an upgrade.

The ease of use of Epifanes 2 part polyurethane, and result, exceeded my expectations by far, as I had used Sikkens moisture cure poly on a similar job.
    Attached Images Attached Images