Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

importance of equal strip thickness

Hi,

I just ordered plans to build a Hiawatha 15ft'er and I'm contemplating cutting my own strips on my crappy little table saw. I did a few test cuts on some short cedar boards I had lying around and they came out "not bad". Using calipers, the different strips measured between 0.247 and 0.26 inches thick. I don't have a thickness planer so I'm stuck to go with the slightly different thicknesses.
    I was thinking that if I was careful to mark the "up" side of each strip while machining the B&C, and also while installing the strips, that any "extra thickness" would simply be corrected during the sanding process.
    Does my thinking make any sense or am I headed for disaster if I proceed as explained ?

Also....I don't have the room to work with full-length strips so I'll be scarf joining them together. Do the joints absolutely have to be over the forms or can they be anywhere between the forms ?

I think you'll be ok with the thickness of the cedar. You may have to sand slightly more on the outside of the canoe.

When butting the strips together ideally it's done over a station but it can also be done in between stations. You'll need a backing block that you can staple (or clamp) each strip into.

Jason @ Noah's