Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Scuppers,Seats & Thwart

I would appreciate any advice on layout to cutting out the scuppers on the gunnels in such a way that there is wood over where the seats and thwarts will go. I began trying a pattern of 3" solid and 3" cut but it doesn't lay out for every place I will need to attached the seats, thwart & yoke. Is it common practice to leave a bigger piece of solid in certain places breaking the regular pattern? or is there some other technique? All suggestions welcome!
    Last edited by jaalgera; 02-16-2012 at 10:22 AM. Reason: correction

The scuppers are cut only ¼” deep so not usually a problem mounting seats etc., however with a little preplanning you should be able to leave solid wood around the mounts and not spoil the overall appearance.

Seat Placement

I'm building a Huron Cruiser and order two of the large seats with the kit. The plans call for the front of the rear seat to be 50.5" from the Center line. With the wider seat the best I can do is 47"from the Center in order for the rear of the seat to fit in the canoe. Is this a problem?

We normally ship one large and one small seat, the small is the back seat. Shouldn’t be a big deal with it 3.5” forward, if there is a balance problem just slide your bum back. We can also exchange the large for a small.

ok, thanks, I didn't know that when I ordered it but will keep it, may be able to push back to 48 and keep the butt back!