Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

How much Epifanes for a 15 footer ?

I'm going to be using Epifanes Clear on my Hiawatha and will probably go for 5 or 6 coats on the outside and maybe 3 or 4 on the inside.
    Any idea how much I'll need ?

Some data here http://www.epifanes.com/home.htm click "Paint Sytems" and whichever "info" link applies to you. The Epifanes data is metric so coverage is presumably given in square meters; I'd guess a 15 ft canoe would have 8-10 sq m total area for in/outside. Epifanes recommends 7 coats I understand but a boat taken out of the water between trips might be OK with less.

You should be able to get 1 to 1.5 full coats inside and out on an average canoe from a 1L can of Epifanes, use a splash of Epifanes thinner to help it spread, more when it’s hot. No need to over thin first coat as you have already sealed the cedar with epoxy

Hi,
    There are a vast number of chemicals out there to choose from. We do not use chemicals. We have tried most of them and have always returned to a heat (hot air) gun and sharp scrapers. This method is by far the least messy and most effective for us. However, having said this, try different methods.

construction safety

Harmony Safety Services provides products and services to the construction industries. Harmony produces hard to find printed tags and signs which are waterproof and durable.

I totally agree with a hot air gun and scraper on flat surfaces, but a couple of reservations re small wooden boats. If you are working on the inside of a small curved hull you will need to use scrapers that roughly fit the curves with no sharp corners, to avoid scratches. You will also need to be careful not to scorch the wood particularly when going for a clear finish. Most epoxy has a very low heat distortion temperature so can blister if stripping varnish with a heat gun unless you turn the temperature way down.