Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

1. Book plans 2.The Perfect boat?

1. I just read the new sea kayak book put out by Chesapeake Light Kayaks. The book advertises plans to build 3 kayaks but then suggests that its do-able but "foolish" to build a boat from the scaled down plans shown in the pictures. Just wondering how foolish it would be to build a boat given the scales are all listed in the book plans. What am i missing?

2. Was thinking about building the west river 180 but im not sure if the boat will carry my weight 200 + about 70 pounds of gear. If not I would appreciate any recommendations for a very fast touring boat. Thanx. Pete

The shape of the boat is determined by the shape of the panels, so it is very important to get the panels right. It is easy to make errors when blowing up from a small scale drawing, so it?s best to invest in full size plans. Check http://www.clcboats.com/ for kayak specs.

Wink

Hi:

It's not foolish to build the boat from the book. I'm just about finished my first S & G kayak built from the fisrt "Kayak Shop" book. All I did was scale off what I could from the book. Anything that I wanted larger, I just scanned into my computer, enlarged to the appropriate scale, and printed on a plotter. I was actually able to do most things, however, directly from the book. Not foolish at all

If you want to see details on my boat's construction, see:

members.home.net/corbettkayak

P.S. I built a CLC Yare, which is a composite-hull boat. It's very critical to get the hull panels just right with this type. I was very careful to get the panels exactly the same - it wasn't easy, but do-able.
    Last edited by CorbettMike; 09-21-2001 at 03:29 PM.

Re: 1. Book plans 2.The Perfect boat?

Originally posted by Pete
    1. I just read the new sea kayak book put out by Chesapeake Light Kayaks. The book advertises plans to build 3 kayaks but then suggests that its do-able but "foolish" to build a boat from the scaled down plans shown in the pictures. Just wondering how foolish it would be to build a boat given the scales are all listed in the book plans. What am i missing?

2. Was thinking about building the west river 180 but im not sure if the boat will carry my weight 200 + about 70 pounds of gear. If not I would appreciate any recommendations for a very fast touring boat. Thanx. Pete

I weigh about the same... and also live in the Atlanta area... built the Chesapeake 18... wonderful performance and fit..... extremely stable. It was a joy to build from the Chesapeake kit. These folks are very helpful when you call.

I had a spinnaker made for it. Althogh the spinnaker is small, the boat sails downwind quite quickly. The kayak gets attention when I am on the water.

Dave Wagner