Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Question Ready for epoxy, but confused on type

I just finished stripping a 16' canoe and have the hull sanded smooth and ready to fiberglass. I am a little confused after looking at Noah's website when it comes to epoxy. I purchased some epoxy at my local hardware store, but it seems to be a general purpose epoxy and slow hardner. I can't remember brand name off the top of my head, don't know if that is important or not, but I do know it isn't an East or West system or MAS epoxy. Could this affect the strength, quality or weight of the canoe? I wasn't aware of the East or West System epoxies when I purchased the stuff I have, as I just found this website the other day. And from what I read the East/West epoxies are tailored to boat building. Other then cost of the epoxy is there any real difference from one epoxy to another? The stuff I bought was only like $26 US a gallon. I know the saying goes you get what you pay for, but I'm just not sure of the difference. And besides, I'm a recent college grad and newlywed so the pockets aren't lined with $$$ like they should be for this project. hahaha. Just looking for honest advice on what I have will work ok or if best to return it and buy the East or West system. Any info on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance
    Rob R

Boat building epoxies, like East and MAS are formulated to give you good wet out of fiberglass, low or no amine blush, good clarity, and consistent results. Hardware store epoxies are usually ?out of the drum? unformulated, and will probably not give you optimum results. Best is to try a test sample with a couple of square feet of glass and see what happens.