Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Profile of Bow and Stern of Kipawa

Hello,

I have set up the molds for the Kipawa and have begun checking the fair lines with a batten. I have found that a fair line extends into the stern stem mold rather than into the inside stern stem. I would have to add about 1.4" of material to the last station mold at the water line for the fair line to extend into the stem unless I bend the strips out at this point so they can meet the stem. This would however result in a puckered shape forming in this area. I have checked the station mold against the plans from which I traced it and it seems to be the correct size, shape and position on the strongback. Is this puckered shape supposed to occur at this point or should I add material to the station mold to ensure a straight line to the stem?

Thank you for your wisdom.

James

Try checking the mould spacing and waterlines again. If the moulds match the plans and the setup is correct the strips should run fair. Do not add to the mould as this will change the shape of the canoe and therefore the handling characteristics that you pay the designer big bucks to get right.

Thank you for your assistance. I have check the mold spacing and waterlines and everything seems correct. I have realized I was probably just not holding the batten at the correct angle along the hull. If I hold the batten parallel to the waterline through to the stem at the stern I don't have a fair line. However, if I slope this down a little more toward the sheer, then it works. I guess since I will start planking at the sheer all the strips will have a little bit of a slope toward the stern and bow so this would be the correct angle of planking. So it seems that if I were to want to start planking with a strip parallel to the waterline the molds would have to be shaped different. Does this seem like how it is supposed to work or is there still something wrong with my setup?

You setup is probably correct, but I would suggest checking the mould verticals to make sure the waterlines are right, also run a string from end to end on your strong back to check for a sag. When using a fairing baton allow it to take the natural curve. If you force it into a straight line you will get false reading. Best way to start is at the sheer, run the first strip straight unless there is very little deadrise at the ends of the canoe. This will allow the strips to take a more natural curve as they go around the bottom. If you do want to start at the waterline, again allow the strip to take a more natural curve, don’t force it to follow the straight waterline.

Kipawa is an asymmetrical canoe, meaning bow and stern are slightly different shape. Try checking that you have the moulds mounted in the correct positions, as there will be a slight difference in the in shape between bow and stern. Do not add to the mould.