Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Epoxy finish on outer hull...

Greetings all,

I am in the process of constructing/ finishing a 15' Prospector Ranger and have completed three coats of epoxy onto of a 6 oz fiberglass cloth. After the final pass I have noticed a few drips which can be cleaned up by slightly sanding the offending area but this raises another question. In very few places the weave is still evident. Can I get away with simply feathering out a dose of epoxy to those areas or should I go back and do the whole thing again? Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

When sanding runs you can avoid damaging adjacent areas if you make a mini wood sanding block a little wider than the run. When you have sanded all the runs (carefully) to the same level, sand the whole boat with 80 grit paper and a medium hard rubber pad. For the areas that are only partially wet out you could try lightly sanding and another coat of epoxy, then sand again. Use clean water and a clean cotton cloth to remove the sanding dust, and you should get an idea what it will look like after varnish. If you can see faint lines of the glass weave, other than cosmetics this should not be a problem, however if there are white patches the glass has not wet out at all and will need to be replaced. Sand the white area out to bare cedar and put in a patch that slightly overlaps the good glass, use 1 coat of epoxy for the glass and 2 more as soon as the previous coat is tacky, 2 to 3 hours each . After sanding this should blend, a faint ring will probably show around the overlap area. After 3 or 4 coats of varnish, you’re the only one who will know about it. Unless your glass job is a total disaster, avoid redoing the whole thing, as you will have to sand the glass right back to the cedar, a lot of work and money.