Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Canadian Cedar Strip Boat Reference

Hello Wooden Boat lovers, (maybe some who hate their wooden vessel ?) anyway, I'm new to this forum, and have in our collection 3 wooden boats 1) 18' Peterborough 1958
    2) 16' Lakefield (with deck) 1960
    3) Peterborough 16' cedar canoe

Now ,..new to the family is a 16' (50's?) something??? Cedar Strip deep hull front and rear decks w/OB...It is still in orginial varnish, but I can't locate any markings on it as a restoration was started many years back and all the fitting / steering / lables logos etc.etc. have been lost...my question ..is their any reference material around with photo's of Canadian (perhaps it's Americian?) Cedar strip boats of the 50's and 60's ???
    Help!!
    Speedy

No books that I know of, but you might check with the Antique and Classic Boat Society. They have a show in Gravenhurst Ont. I think July 13 - 14

JH Ross

It looks like after further investigation, we have found ourself a rare JH Ross (Orillia), mostly made of mahogany, using "cedar strip" construction methods.
    It is 14' not 16', and needs a complete restoration, and missing all the hardware, and steering gear, windshield? (if it had one?)

It is a very deep hull, with front and rear decks, and walk through split front bench type seat (missing also)

I think this might be a 50's vintage, and I would also be interested in any information to find a suitable engine..I like to give it a 50's Mercury...
    I look forward to anymore info...Anyone?

50 hrsp make a scary rabbit... Have that on my 1960 cedarstrip ross..just dont turn too quick,lol!

Quote Originally Posted by fishfry8 View Post
    50 hrsp make a scary rabbit... Have that on my 1960 cedarstrip ross..just dont turn too quick,lol!
    I am interested in the fact you have a sixtys Ross. I am trying to find information on this builder could you provide any information? You imply that this boat would not turn good could you expand on this? Many thanks

NO info on Ross boats

Quote Originally Posted by Pantry3cow View Post
    I am interested in the fact you have a sixtys Ross. I am trying to find information on this builder could you provide any information? You imply that this boat would not turn good could you expand on this? Many thanks
    Well as title states, way back when there was sooo many different boat builders that built boats for companies that to identify just one is pretty much impossible. Had heck of a time finding what kind of boat mine was (many phone calls to Qeubec). As for the turning thing, the motor is way fast for this narrow boat but fun. Rated for 35hrsp so a 50hrsp makes a scared rabbit but cruises along awsome. Don't have to drive it wide open either!