Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Canoe Catamaran?

My Dad and I are finishing up our second Cedar Strip Canoe, (Canoecraft Redbirds). We would like to sail them. I have found some good info on sailing a single canoe from the ACA website.

We would also like to hook them together into a catamaran. Does anybody have info on the best way to do this? What size/style sail rig would work best? How far apart should they be spaced?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Ethan Steiner

PS, here is a link to pictures of our first one:
    Cedar Strip Canoe

Have never seen a catamaran canoe, but it would be an interesting experiment. The usual arrangement for a sailing canoe is a proa ( one small outrigger ) or a trimaran ( two small hulls) with a free standing mast near the bow.
    No reason a catacanoe wouldn't work except you would probabley need two to sail it. Rule of thumb for spacing is overall beam should be about 2/3 of the length, but this is not critical. Putting one sail in the middle, would be structurally complicated and add weight, but a sail in the bow of each hull would be easy, add a lea board or 2 and it would probably even go upwind.

catamaran

Kruger canoes uses a standard sail mount and catamaran set-up for all their boats. Check them out at http://www.krugercanoes.com
    I can send you pictures if you need them. but theri web site has some too.
    nm

Here's my canoe catamaran. The Nufoiler. www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0xTZH3nYAw

Quote Originally Posted by michel105 View Post
    I am a Mechanical Engineering student at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. For my senior design semester project I would like to design a catamaran that is sail powered and uses two canoes as its two hulls. I have never designed a boat so I was hoping that more experienced people could help me out.I was thinking that the boom of the sail would be mounted high enough that it would clear the head of the person in the middle seat (much lower than the other two seats) and the boom would not be long enough to reach the person in the back seat. In order for it not to hit the person in the front seat the rotation of the sail would have to be limited. Since the pivot of the sail and the front seat will likely be at about the longitudinal placement, this is about 180 degrees of rotation. From sailing books I have read, you should never need your sail to be rotated more than this but is there any reason why limiting its travel would be a problem?Any help is appreciated.
    1. Limiting boom travel to less than 180 degrees will severely limit the maneuverability and it's down wind performance.
    2. The Boom on all sailboats Iíve seen can hit someone in the head. Thatís why sailors use tack commands to alert the crew the sail will be moving from one side to the other. IE "Prepare to Tack, Tack HO/ Prepare to Jib, Jib HO"
    3. The higher you set the boom the higher the center of gravity the more likely to roll over in a strong wind and I have seen a cat cartwheel (Not a pretty sight)
    4. While Mechanical Engineering is related to Naval Architecture the one is not a substitute for the other.
    5. The above was not meant to squash you plans just to make sure you study more on your idea and youíll need to get the US Coastguard Boat Builders Handbook for safety concerns
    6. If you sell or give the plans to someone else and they are proven to be unsafe you can be held responsible and the little disclaimer some are trying to use is not a guaranteed to make you not liable

Quote Originally Posted by michel105 View Post
    I am a Mechanical Engineering student at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. For my senior design semester project I would like to design a catamaran that is sail powered and uses two canoes as its two hulls. I have never designed a boat so I was hoping that more experienced people could help me out.I was thinking that the boom of the sail would be mounted high enough that it would clear the head of the person in the middle seat (much lower than the other two seats) and the boom would not be long enough to reach the person in the back seat. In order for it not to hit the person in the front seat the rotation of the sail would have to be limited. Since the pivot of the sail and the front seat will likely be at about the longitudinal placement, this is about 180 degrees of rotation. From sailing books I have read, you should never need your sail to be rotated more than this but is there any reason why limiting its travel would be a problem?Any help is appreciated.
    1. Limiting boom travel to less than 180 degrees will severely limit the maneuverability and it's down wind performance.
    2. The Boom on all sailboats Iíve seen can hit someone in the head. Thatís why sailors use tack commands to alert the crew the sail will be moving from one side to the other. IE "Prepare to Tack, Tack HO/ Prepare to Jib, Jib HO"
    3. The higher you set the boom the higher the center of gravity the more likely to roll over in a strong wind and I have seen a cat cartwheel (Not a pretty sight)
    4. While Mechanical Engineering is related to Naval Architecture the one is not a substitute for the other.
    5. The above was not meant to squash you plans just to make sure you study more on your idea and youíll need to get the US Coastguard Boat Builders Handbook for safety concerns
    6. If you sell or give the plans to someone else and they are proven to be unsafe you can be held responsible and the little disclaimer some are trying to use is not a guaranteed to make you not liable

sailing canoe catamaran

I sailed the BWCA in Northern Minnesota years ago with a pair of aluminum canoes and quite a crew. We lashed two cedar poles across the braces of the canoes, then wedged a mast into our gear just behind the front seat of one canoe. We rigged some heavy cord from the corners to the top of the "mast". My wife-to-be (didn't know that at the time) designed the sail out of a tarp, had a six foot boom. She duct taped a couple sticks on the sail for some reason. We had no center or lee boards - so it went downwind only, but with the hull shape of the canoes we could steer about 30 degrees off straight down wind. Both rear passengers steered with paddles. It was big fun, we passed many paddling canoes that thought it was not fair. We seemed to be going pretty fast - 8 inch wave off the bows. We went 15 miles in a couple hours.We had five people and a heck of a lot of gear in those canoes. The lumber went into the campfire when we hit the end of the big lakes - but we did portage the whole thing once. I'm getting ready to take a group of kids back to the BWCA, and will have a better setup this time - a couple lee boards! Bob