Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Question Construction glue ???

Anybody ever use construction glue like liquid nails for boatbuilding ?

Construction Glue For Boatbuilding

EZrider,

Yes I have used several brands of building construction glues for fastening gunnels, seats, etc., and would only use them for parts not touching or being under water. I have been tempted on boats completely covered with epoxy & glass to use these glues in hull construction but have always used epoxy instead or screws & nails. These glues are great for homebuilding because most house frames are not exposed to the weather for long until they are covered over. I wouldn't hesitate to glue up a small wooden mast with construction glues. Be selective where you use them and they will work great.

Its interesting that you mentioned using 'screws and nails' as a building option. I was thinking along the same line as an added redundant fastener. However I'd be more inclined to use non-metalic screws given the corrosion factor. There's also the inherent and obvious risk of epoxy resin...especially for the novice builder, and there's no margin for error. Considering the kind of occasional day sailer for my first boat project, I figure I can get away with a polyurethane coating, or contact cement, construction glue as mentioned before, and even stitched carpet tape, as fiberglass tape is nonexistent in local stores.

I have heard promising things for the use of PL premium window sealant as an adhesive for boatbuilding. It is a urethane glue and reacts with the moisture in the wood as part of it's curing process. It is very strong and waterproof. I think it is also compatible with being coated with epoxy.

Titebond III is supposed to be waterproof.

Maybe in real light boats it's ok but I can't imagine using just glue alone.I know it is done but no matter what the adhesive, it's all going to pretty much be more than enough if complimented with fasteners and as long as it's waterproof.Every wood glue I have ever tried the joint breaks at the wood and not at the glue.The amateur boatbuilder really has to appreciate epoxy for it's gap filling capabilities.I know that some of the gorilla type glues expand or foam up but I am not so sure this is as sound as epoxy would be.In dry sailed boats,I don't think it's really an issue if they are kept covered and maintained.

As far as fasteners go,you really can't beat silicon bronze and for dry sailed boats,316 stainless is going to be around longer than we will.
    Last edited by pipefitter; 01-26-2006 at 01:56 AM.