Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

philippine mahogany for frames

I am new to boat building (building a Glen-L Squirt) and was wondering if Philippine Mahogany is suitable lumber for the frames? I ask because I have access to some that I may be able to use but after doing my homework on the species, I am starting to have my doubts. Would love to hear some advice based on experience with the material... Thanks.

There are several species of wood sold as ?Philippine Mahogany?. Noah?s has been supplying customers with Merranti for about 15 years we have found it to be excellent for boat construction with straight grain , good gluing and rot resistance. Most lumber yards sell ? Banak? or similar, this is quite soft, light and not very strong

Thanks, is Meranti the dark red or light red variety of Philippine Mahogany? I noticed that Noah's carries 'Tropical' Mahogany, is that the same as Honduras or African Mahogany?

Noah?s stocks the light red, softer than the dark and easier to work with. Tropical comes from Brazil, similar to Honduras, African is softer than Tropical and light brown instead of red