Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

My first project boat? Maybe not.....

Hi everyone, I just bought my first project boat. It's a 50's Giesler 17' Cedar Strip boat (see pictures). After getting it home and giving it a good look over, I've come to the conclusion that I might very well be in over my head.
    Much of the trim pieces are rotten. The deck is very weathered and has good size gaps between the strips. It's sat outside and had some water sitting in it for possibly 5 years or more. The bottom of the boat under the splash rail had been fiberglassed at some point. Alot of that fiberglass is now falling off. Does this look and sound like firewood or a worthy project? I didn't pay much at all for it with the trailer, so I won't be out much if that is the case. I'm a total novice, so any opinions would be great.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chub; 07-09-2006 at 12:06 AM.

If you don?t have anything else to do this winter it sure beats watching TV now that the World Cup is over. Lots of work but it is probably salvageable. It looks like the bottom is hogged from sitting on the trailer, this will need to be straightened and could be a problem. If you are looking for function rather than authentic restoration, strip the glass off the bottom and redo with epoxy, it will at least keep the water out. Noah?s also has a video on restoring these boats.

Thumbs up Go For It

Get yourself a moaning chair(you will need it at times)and a couple of books on wood boat restoration.As you are a novice don't expect any type of instant gratification and plan on a 2 year project. If things don't work out well at the end it will have been time well spent. Above all don't lose sight of the fact that it is supposed to be fun.I'm a little envious,I have been looking for a project like this for awhile now. Keep us up to date on your progress.
    PG

Can you tell me if the video covers mainly Cedar Strip power boats or is more canoe based? Is it available on DVD?

Contact Information

Hi there,

My dad might have helped to make that boat! More than likely, he might have swept up the floor after his grandfather and uncles built the boat. I personally don't know much about boat building or restoring, but you can always email them to see if they can give you advice. The website is www.gieslerboats.ca and the email is sales@gieslerboats.ca (you can tell them that Al's daughter referred you to them if necessary, though I can't see them not wanting to help out.)

Good luck with it.

Looks Promising!, and a lot better than the boat I was considering. Mine has a totally rotten transom, gunwales gone, main inner stem, and top few inches of each of the 56 or so ribs, succumbed to dry rot!
    It is a Peterborough model # 45, not sure of how old?
    The only "good" stuff being: seats & backrests, floorboards, and cedar strips of hull.

Now that's firewood!

This was going to be my first wooden boat restoration, after recently completing a 7 yr. restoration of an 1961 fiberglass 26' sailboat that has wooden spars 7 trim, I'm looking for another project.
    Think I'll keep hunting for something a little less challenging.......for a newbie.
    Bill M.

Just found this site and read Chub's entry....noticed the entry made in July of '06.....Curious about what happened to the boat he was working on. Hope he didn't get too discouraged in the restoration.....I'm in the middle of restoring a 13.5 foot Century......the hull is carvel type construction ....I'm a green horn at this stuff too but I'm sure havin' fun........