Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

New member with an old boat!

New here........have done some restoration on a Century carvel constructed hull boat but have just recently picked up an old (don't know how old) Hugo cedar strip 13.5 foot boat. Hugos were built in Onamia, Minnesota and there aren't many of them around. Does anybody have any history of the Hugos? I'm livinng only about 20 miles away from Onamia so will be able to find something out.........

Have not worked on a cedar strip boat and will have lots of questions when I get around to it. Seems this site has quite a bit more information on cedar strips than on carvel or lapstrakes.

Just glad to find the site......doesn't seem too active....or am I wrong?

Thanks

Bodger here again........seems like I see a lot of use of fiber glass. Is the use of fiber glass typical in restoration.......are there any wood "purists" around? Just wondering. Thanks.

Peace!

A little late but try the "Wooden Canoe Heritage Association" for historical information and assistance... http://www.wcha.org/

Thanks Woodchuck........wont be getting at that boat till I finish the one I'm on. In central Minnesota and working in an unheated garage so I'm buttoned up for the winter. Haven't even taken a close look at the boat and have done no restoration of a cedar strip......should be interesting. Thanks again. Happy Holidays!