Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Meranti BS6566 vs. Meranti BS1088

Hi,

I am preparing to build a 14' stich and glue boat. Already bought the East System Resin and now saving money for the plywood. Since I am on a really tight budget, is there any essential difference between Meranti BS6566 and Meranti BS1088. I'd like to buy the cheaper one but am not sure if it's ok?

Thank you for your help!

Alex

Does the plan require you to cover the outside with biax fabric?

Very little difference. The faces on the BS1088 are A/B, the BS 6566 faces are B/BB so one step down. No patches or holes but the spec allows putty fills in splinter voids, usually up to ” x 6”. The core is the same WBP (Water and Boil Proof) glue and void free. Structurally the BS 1088 and BS 6566 are very similar except 2 extra plys in the 12, 15, and 18MM. Most of our customers use the BS 6566 although the BS 1088 will look a little better if you are using a clear finish. Either one takes Epoxy glue and coatings with or without fiberglass well.

All right, thanks a lot!

So i'm gonna go with the BS 6566.

I'll probably order it in April or May because I don't have storage space yet.

Could you please tell me roughly how much would be the transportation charges to Vancouver, BC for 5 sheets 6mm and 4 sheets 9 mm ?

Thanks a lot!

Alex

Shipping to Vancouver should be under $100. If the delivery is going to a residence there is an additional charge of $ 50 to $ 60.

Jason