Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: Paint?

Paint?

Hi,

I want to order some biax tape 12 oz., but with it to save money on shipping would like to order also the paint for my 14' stich and glue boat.
    I was reading the forum and it seems the best choice for me will be the two part Epifanes Polyurethane for top sides?? I will keep the boat in the water just a few hours each weekend. The rest of the time it will be on a trailer. How much paint do I need to paint the boat inside and out? And is there any primer with this paint?

Thank you!

Alex

I assume the boat is epoxy coated inside and out, and about 4í beam, if so you will need 3 to 4 cans of paint, depending on color, light colors such as Red, Orange, Yellow, donít cover well and will need an extra coat. If your epoxy surface is smooth with a minimum of pin holes scratches etc. and sanded to at least 220 grit you should be able to get away with 1 or 2 coats of polyurethane , sand and finish with one or two more coats. Two coats of Epifanes Multimarine or Epoxy Primer will however do a better prep job for the paint, especially if you sanded into the fiberglass. If you have used primer, finish with 2 or 3 coats of Polyurethane Topcoat. Polyurethane will stand up well in water for at least 2 weeks.