Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

extending 8' pram plans to 10'

any advice on extending plans for a stitch & Glue 8' pram to a 10' pram
    Is this extending this boat too much?

I have the plans, and the build looks simple enough, but I would really like to add the extra few feet to length.

current dimensions are:

8' length
    stern is 33" wide at chine 41" wide at sheer
    bow is 24" wide at chine 23 3/4" wide at sheer
    boat sides are 15"

Should I scale all measurements Up 125% (8' to 10' = 125% when increasing length

I guess scarfing will be needed for the sides and bottom.

Build calls for all parts in 1/4" ply, but since I will need to do a scarfing joint on the bottom would you upgrade to 1/2" for the bottom? and keep 1/4" everywhere else or just continue on with 1/4" all around to help keep weight down.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

You can lengthen or shorten most boat designs by about 10% without causing problems but this is 25% so you are stretchhhhing things a bit. The other problem with expanding stitch and glue designs is that the panel curves are usually drawn by boat design software to produce a specific shape when stitched together. If you try to lengthen the panels you change curve and therefore the boat shape. I once stretched an 11 skiff to 11 10, it took a lot of fiddling and the bow came out a little higher, but overall it worked pretty well.

Thanks!

I kind of thought stretching 25% might be a bit much.

But, if I scaled "all" the measurements up, wouldn't the panels stay in the same curve, since everything is scaled up at same %? Or is this one of those weird "higher math" things where 25% isn't really 25%

I'm still considering giving it a go since it is a pram style. if it where any other style I would be a bit more skeptical of extending design that much.

Where do you recommend finding plans. I might not build pram if I could find a simple 10'-11' stitch & glue skiff or a 10' pram already to scale.

thanks again for the advice.

emailed the prams designer. he feels extending this design to 10' shouldn't be a problem, but suggested beefing the transom to 1/2 ply instead of spec'd 1/4. and using a scarf joint to lengthen ply. I do plan on checking a local "real" lumber yard for 10' ply and save myself the extra step of scarfing the joints.

will post progress when build begins. at the moment scouting materials.

Quote Originally Posted by starrfish1968 View Post
    Thanks!

I kind of thought stretching 25% might be a bit much.

But, if I scaled "all" the measurements up, wouldn't the panels stay in the same curve, since everything is scaled up at same %? Or is this one of those weird "higher math" things where 25% isn't really 25%

I'm still considering giving it a go since it is a pram style. if it where any other style I would be a bit more skeptical of extending design that much.

Where do you recommend finding plans. I might not build pram if I could find a simple 10'-11' stitch & glue skiff or a 10' pram already to scale.

thanks again for the advice.
    Glen L has a couple of nice designs in stitch and glue in the 10 to 11' range. The model Bullseye comes to mind.

Jason @ Noah's

who is glen l and how can i get his bullseye plans? skiff? pram? looking into local 10' plywood. save myself the scarf joint.
    email me at
    onevizcaya@yahoo.com

with details i appreciate it. almost bought a 10' aluminum jon boat but deal fell through. I'm being called to build my own plywood boat... I can hear it! felt the urge for several years! got another line on another jon boat... would really like to say I built this boat myself... caught this fish on a rod I built myself.... on a lure/fly I tied myself...
    2 out of three ain't bad but 3/3 is a home run!

thnks again.

will search site for glen an his bullseye but feel free to email me direct...

did a search of your site... no glen l or bullseye... any help would be great!