Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

hybrid layout boat Q?s

Hello there,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or not, if not please move.

I want to build one of these boats
    http://www.kansashunter.org/sites/de...%20Article.pdf

The only problem is I'm not sure which resin to use. I would like to mount a trolling motor on the transom if that makes a difference.

Thanks
    Ross
    Last edited by _Green_; 07-02-2009 at 06:27 PM.

Epoxy is always better than Polyester, vinyl ester or the others...it is the most water resistant.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by lewisboats View Post
    Epoxy is always better than Polyester, vinyl ester or the others...it is the most water resistant.

Steve
    Thanks for the response Steve.

I suppose I should have provided a little more info in the original post before asking the question. From what I've read so far I already knew that epoxy would be the best choice, for a number of reasons. However this will be the first boat I have ever built, is being built for one purpose, that being to hunt ducks and geese in shallow water. It's not likely to be used more than a handful of times each season. So I want to keep the cost as low as possible. So of the two (Polyester & vinyl ester) which would adhere best to plywood? All together I'm hoping I can keep the cost under $300. If I get 3-5 seasons out of it I'll be happy. I'm sure this will be the first of many that I build as I evolve the plans to suit my needs.

Thanks again
    Ross

Polyester Resin is usually not recommended for wood boat construction as it has a tendency to delaminate over time and when water gets under the glass this leads to rot. However for disposable boats the price is right, so no problem for projects like yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah's View Post
    Polyester Resin is usually not recommended for wood boat construction as it has a tendency to delaminate over time and when water gets under the glass this leads to rot. However for disposable boats the price is right, so no problem for projects like yours.
    Could you recommend a product that you carry and let me know the cost, I need
    • 2 gallons of fiberglass resin
    • 150 feet of 6" fiberglass tape
    • 8 yards 4 oz x 52 inch fiberglass cloth

And also what are your hours? Maybe I can get down there and pick all this up over the weekend.

Thanks
    Ross

Let me get the data regarding this topic because one of my friend is in this kind of business, I will confirm you information from him...

Quote Originally Posted by sumansameer View Post
    Let me get the data regarding this topic because one of my friend is in this kind of business, I will confirm you information from him...
    this is so old, I forgot I even posted it here.

all I need now is the resin and hardener

I agree with you mate... Epoxy is better than Polyester.

Quote Originally Posted by lewisboats View Post

Steve