Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Lightbulb Not Using Epoxy & Fiberglass!

I am planning on building a small cedar-strip sailboat for car-topping to freshwater lakes in the Great American Midwest. We will likely sail only twice a month for a portion of one day, April through October. The boat will be stored on dry land above the ground with a cover.

The whole epoxy/fiberglass thing looks scary, laborious, and toxic. I was wondering if anybody has built using Titebond III for glue, shellac for waterproofing, and a bright finish compatible protective coat on the outside? I am a moderately skilled woodworker with limited tools and workspace in my basement and I am really not anxious to get messed up with smelly, sticky epoxy.

Also, there is a dirth of strip plans for small sailboats out there. (I have written Compumarine and they have not answered.) Does anyone know of a row boat designer that will outfit a 13' boat with a sail plan? Or a designer that will modify their plywood plans to strip construction?

Nothing wrong with Titebond for gluing the strips, but if you want to avoid fiberglass you should make the planking a little thicker than the usual 1/4’. The fiberglass skins in strip construction add stiffness, protection from scrapes and impact as well as waterproofing, so you will have a very delicate boat without the glass.

Thanks Noah! Theoretically the shellac should be absorbed by the cedar and harden the surface, although probably not to the degree that epoxy does. I will probably set up a test and see, but what thickness would you recommend for the strips? Does Noahs make sell any size but 1/4"?

Can’t recommend a thickness as this relates to the overall design. Noah’s only does ¼” stripps.