Noah's Photo Gallery

Our customers projects


Last additions - 15' Skerry Build
15s.jpg
205 viewsCut the fiberglass about an inch larger than required and taped the edge of the second panel. I'm ready for resin. I've also cut and put aside the fiberglass strips for the front and back.Aug 03, 2013
14s.jpg
217 viewsStern breasthook just fell in place perfectly without even a wimper. The boat is starting to look like an oversize fat canoe with the front and back breasthooks in place and no seats yet.Aug 03, 2013
13s.jpg
236 viewsFinally put a second coat of resin on the bottom and on the first panel (garboard), and a first coat on rest of the boat interior. Looks pretty rough but I'm happy. Long day but lots to show for it.Aug 03, 2013
12s.jpg
224 viewsResin soaking in cloth. Aug 03, 2013
11s.jpg
1037 views I measured and rough cut the fiberglass cloth so it would be all ready. I then made a thickened epoxy mixture and smoothed out the bottom - first panel seam with a smooth fillet. The seam was pretty rough I'm afraid it might show up.

After trimming the epoxy cloth to size I made sure everything was ready for resin.Trimming fiberglass cloth to exact size.
Aug 03, 2013
10s.jpg
225 viewsAfter turning the Skerry over, I filled the inside stems with a thickened mixture of epoxy. While everything was still wet I put on a fiberglass strip and painted it with epoxy. Except for the annoying little threads of fiberglass things went very well.

The epoxy did its best to flow to the bottom of the boat but I was merciless in sopping it up.

Tacked the 3 bulkheads with thickened epoxy.
Aug 03, 2013
9s.jpg
232 viewsDetail of hull, its called stitch and glue because you literally stitch the plywood together and sew yourself up a boat!.Aug 03, 2013
8s.jpg
256 viewsI started gluing between the wire ties. I was lucky and did not get any drips to the inside. It looks like a boat now and my family actually believes me. Everyone who has actually seen the boat have commented on how nice the lines are!Aug 03, 2013
7s.jpg
280 viewsfinally managed to get the bulkheads wired in proper position. Not easy because the panels have to be coaxed and curved into position and its hard to do. My wires kept breaking and wood got a bit scraped on the outside.

Not really a problem because it will be painted but nerve wracking. I have a few gaps here and there and I will have to rely on the filling capacity of the epoxy paste more than I had hoped. The Skerry hull is quite symmetrical and well formed and I think that is quite important.
Aug 03, 2013
6s.jpg
236 viewsI added the 3 frames and they went in without too much trouble. They are only tied to the base at this point. Second panel was more docile than the first and attached itself to the first without much argument ... yet.

Boat certainly is big. Fills my living room quite completely.
Aug 03, 2013
5s.jpg
240 viewsAfter fiddling and making of small holes for the copper wire, I have started assembling the boat. The base and first panels did not fit. The base was about a half inch too big.I did some "adjusting" with my block plane and now things will be coaxed together without too much fuss. I'm depending on the filling putty to hide any imperfection where the end of the base and the front meet. I've only roughly tied the base to the first panel. I'm thinking I'll adjust everything when the third panels have been addedAug 03, 2013
4s.jpg
230 viewsAfter setting up the 16 feet side blanks and transferring the points by measuring and using a flexible stick to join the points between measurements I was ready to cut the sides of the Skerry. I checked twice and still expect to find something wrong. Murphy's law is alive and well in my home!!

Although the process is not difficult in itself, it is ackward to manipulate the big floppy pieces of wood.
Aug 03, 2013
39 files on 4 page(s) 3