Noah's Photo Gallery

Our customers projects


Most viewed - 15' Skerry Build
5s.jpg
240 viewsAfter fiddling and making of small holes for the copper wire, I have started assembling the boat. The base and first panels did not fit. The base was about a half inch too big.I did some "adjusting" with my block plane and now things will be coaxed together without too much fuss. I'm depending on the filling putty to hide any imperfection where the end of the base and the front meet. I've only roughly tied the base to the first panel. I'm thinking I'll adjust everything when the third panels have been added
20s.jpg
238 viewsAfter prebending the gunwales for 3 days I started installing them. I dry assembled the first 2. One scarf joint failed while I was adjusting the other side and since it was perfectly clamped in place with only a partial delaminate I just reglued it in place. The other side went on relatively easily. The shape was improved slightly. Side curves are more smooth.
6s.jpg
236 viewsI added the 3 frames and they went in without too much trouble. They are only tied to the base at this point. Second panel was more docile than the first and attached itself to the first without much argument ... yet.

Boat certainly is big. Fills my living room quite completely.
13s.jpg
236 viewsFinally put a second coat of resin on the bottom and on the first panel (garboard), and a first coat on rest of the boat interior. Looks pretty rough but I'm happy. Long day but lots to show for it.
9s.jpg
232 viewsDetail of hull, its called stitch and glue because you literally stitch the plywood together and sew yourself up a boat!.
2s.jpg
230 viewsCheck twice cut once!
4s.jpg
230 viewsAfter setting up the 16 feet side blanks and transferring the points by measuring and using a flexible stick to join the points between measurements I was ready to cut the sides of the Skerry. I checked twice and still expect to find something wrong. Murphy's law is alive and well in my home!!

Although the process is not difficult in itself, it is ackward to manipulate the big floppy pieces of wood.
18s.jpg
230 viewsThe outside of the Skerry gets 3 coats of epoxy. Here it is after the first overall coat. Its so magic to see the wood just come alive with the resin. Its a shame I'm planning to paint the outside of the boat. I think it would be just too much wood but I am tempted.

There are surprising few drips. I applied quite a thin coat. It needs to harden now for a couple of days because I'm planning some serious sanding on the outside next.

The Skerry has a pretty shape.
33s.jpg
rudder construction228 viewsDry assembly of modified rudder. I filed a groove in the rudder and cut a notch to allow the rope to freely pass through. I will place a cleat possibly in the front if it looks appropriate, otherwise on the back. I think it will be easier to access.
34s.jpg
rudder construction227 viewsNeeds sanding and its ready for its first coat of paint.
10s.jpg
225 viewsAfter turning the Skerry over, I filled the inside stems with a thickened mixture of epoxy. While everything was still wet I put on a fiberglass strip and painted it with epoxy. Except for the annoying little threads of fiberglass things went very well.

The epoxy did its best to flow to the bottom of the boat but I was merciless in sopping it up.

Tacked the 3 bulkheads with thickened epoxy.
12s.jpg
224 viewsResin soaking in cloth.
39 files on 4 page(s) 2