PDA

View Full Version : Epoxy Question

ppelletier
03-25-2003, 09:40 PM
I'm in the planning stage of building a Chesapeake from the plans. I need to purchase the Epoxy but there are so many choices.

CLC sells a kit that has 1-1/2 gal. resin and 3/4 gal. of hardener, as well as wood flour, CAB-o-Sil and metered pumps. Noah's sells many different kinds but I can't seem to find the wood flour or cab-o-sil?

I prefer to purchase most of my materials from within Canada if possible. Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks from a beginner.

Noah's
03-30-2003, 07:46 PM
East with 834 hardener is thinner than West 206, with less blush and better clarity. This results in easier fiberglass wet out, longer open time between coats and easier sanding. West with 207 hardener is similar to East, but has a more amber color. MAS with slow hardener is similar to East 1032/834, and West 105/207with low viscosity, and no blush, but has a longer pot life and cure time so you can recoat up to 24 hrs without sanding. East and West will also cure in lower temperatures than MAS.

Noah?s has wood flower and cabosil. Download our catalogue on the home page and check under fillers.

ppelletier
04-01-2003, 08:53 PM
Great info - Thanks.

agiannelia
04-08-2003, 04:45 PM
I have been thinking about the East vs West issue for quite some time now. Here are a few thoughts which come to mind.

East 834 vs West 207: This is interesting because 207 is a 3:1 mix whereas East is a 5:1. The West people make 2 interesting points about 207, one being that it has built in UV inhibitors (perhaps the source of the amber colour) and the other being the fact that despite those inhibitors, you should coat with at least 3 coats of good UV blocking spar varnish.

EAST vs System 3: The web site I used to get my plans is hot on S3 claiming among other things that it is far cheaper than West (in the US anyway) and that being a 2:1 mix, a lot more flexible.

Has anyone up here in the Great White North, used S3?

Maybe Noah's knows something about S3 which they would like to share with us.

Alex :rolleyes:

Noah's
04-10-2003, 07:47 PM
I have never used System 3 so can?t give you a comparison, but just about anything is cheaper than West. East System will be putting a UV additive in there 1032 system in the near future; don?t know about color change yet. They also have a high tensile strength, two hour gel time epoxy specifically for composite construction.

Hoot
07-19-2003, 12:10 PM
System 3 claimes all the good stuff about epoxy. Like west-east-et all they are over priced. I built a couple of stittch and glue boats from Bateau.com using resin from US Composites;

http://www.shopmaninc.com/cloth.html

The resin worked great for me. All these "specialty" resins probably have their place, but the US Composite resin, fiberglass tape and cloth, additives tools etc. are a full 50% less than WEST or System 3.