Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

What is the ideal width of fibre glass cloth?

Hi, iam new to the forum, and to canoe building for that matter,so i would like to say hello to all who use it.I live in England and i am struggling to find materials to build with, as you may imagine WRC doesn't grow over here and so sourcing it has proved to be almost impossible,got some eventualy though, extremely expensive.I am going to build a 16' prospector (Cedar strip) the plans are winging there wto me as i type.
    I have found the right weight fibre glass cloth over here but it is only 3' wide so what iam asking is, should i puchase that width, or look out for cloth wide enough to encase the entire hull of the canoe? I dont know how well fiber glass cloth joins together,and i don't want to see horrible joins on my finnished canoe.
    Kind regards.
    Peterpops.

One piece 60? wide is easiest, but you should be able to make a join down the keel pretty well disappear. The stem and stern will be covered and a ?? overlap will do for the rest. If you want it to go away completely just run a razor knife down the middle of the overlap, pull off the top piece before the resin starts to gel, dig out the bottom piece and butt the glass back together. One problem with this is if the cut is running parallel to the wood grain you may develop a crack.

fibreglass quality

Thanks for the advise Noah.Does the type of fibreglass cloth make much difference? ive noticed on a dvd i bourght from 'Sandy point boat works' that the cloth he was using looked a lot smoother than the chopped fibreglass i was going to buy off Ebay.Don't know much about fibreglass quality.

Chop strand or mat will get you one really ugly, heavy canoe. Use 6 oz woven fiberglass cloth with volan or saline sizing for a clear finish. Noah?s has mailed this material to overseas customers, takes a while but cost is reasonable.

cedar or mahogany?

Wow, iam glad i asked the question now,thanks,you just saved me from making one hellavacockup.I had thought of buying the fibreglass from this web site but i thought the shipping cost to England would make it too costly.
    I will look into it though.
    Another thing you may be able to help me with is,would i have any problems constructing my canoe out of mahogany strips instead of cedar,as i have acquired quite a lot of it for very cheap.I was going to use some for my decks and gunwhales but the hardware store was closing down and i bourght his entire stock for peanuts,i have enough to construct several canoes now using nothing but mahogany?
    Thanks for your advice Noah.
    Kind regards.
    peter.

No problem, it will just be a little heavier.