Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

epoxy in unheated shop

Hi:
    I am starting my first boat. My carpentry skills are fair but I have never used fibreglass & epoxy. I have purchased the plans for the Osprey II and am planning to use BS1088 Okoume, fillet & tape the inside seams and cloth the outside. I have a few questions:

My shop is unheated and I plan to build over the next few months (November & December in Kingston Ontario). I can make a tarp enclosure and warm it with a small heater but I doubt the temperature will be very constant. Is that okay?

From what I have read the East System seems ideal as it may flow better etc. however the Cold Cure may suit the unheated shop better although the cost is higher. Actually I'm not clear about the cost of the Cold Cure. For example is the CC6 $189.00 for a kit of epoxy and hardener or just epoxy. If hardener is extra how much is it? Is the Cold Cure as good a quality as the East?

That's probably enough questions for now! Can anyone help clarify all this for me?

Steve.

East System Epoxy with 833 hardener and Cold Cure will both cure down to about 2 degrees above freezing, but the resin at that temperature gets quite viscous so is difficult to work. You will use more epoxy and not be able to wet the glass as easily. If you have to work at these temperatures store the resin in the house so it is warm when using and maintain the worksite temperature until the epoxy has hardened. It will stop curing when the temperature goes below freezing. A plastic tent with an electric heater will help.

I too live in eastern Ontario and have an unheated shop. I am at the point of fiberglassing one of my cedar strip canoes.In the past I have built them in my basement using West System where I have a woodstove so heat in the winter is not a problem.I was hoping to get this one done before it got cold but it didn't happen.I have looked in your epoxy section but cant't find anything about " cold cure ". Could you please give me some info on this as it sounds like it's exactly what I need . Thanks Jeff.

Cold Cure is a low temperature epoxy made by Systems 3, you can get more detailed information from there site. It will cure down to freezing, and even underwater, but same problem with viscosity at low temperatures as other epoxys.

what colour is East System 834 hardener and epoxy? I need a clear finish for the cedar with no amine blush.Ihave been using West system 207 in the past but it won't cure at low temps. I can get my shop up to 10 or 15 degrees without to much difficultyfor a couple of days so East should be ok....Jeff

East System with 834 hardener is almost water clear and very little blush, about the same as West 207. Should be no problem curing at 10 to 15 degrees.